It’s Snowbird Season! If you are relocating south for the winter, there are a few things you’ll want to do in order to prep your home for Winter. MyDwelling, one of our Shorewest companies, can help you manage your property while you’re away with their Home and Condo Management program. They will visit your property weekly and take all the worry out of the home being vacant. They can also assist if you choose to rent the
property while you’re away. They can do this by coordinating maintenance repairs, move-in/out checklists, rent collection, security deposit, and accounting management. They can also monitor furnaces, walk-throughs following a rain/snow storm, schedule gutter cleanings and more!
- Forward your mail, stop your newspaper deliveries or ask a friend or relative to collect things that are left on your doorstep.
- Arrange for someone to shovel the driveway after a snow storm.
- To make sure your home looks like it is continuously occupied, set some interior lights on a timer, and put motion-sensor lights on the exterior.
- Confirm that your alarm systems are in working order and have been turned on. Or download an app to your phone that can control the alarm from anywhere.
- Depending on how long you will be gone, you can protect your pipes by turning off your water. Hire a plumber to blow compressed air through the pipes to make sure there is no excess water left.
- Otherwise, if your home will only be vacant for a short amount of time, you will need to keep your home at a minimum of 55°F to keep pipes from freezing. Leaving room doors and under the sink cabinets open will also help the circulation.
- Clean, defrost and unplug refrigerators and freezers by wiping them dry and leaving doors propped open to prevent mildew.
- Store valuables that you are not taking with you in a safe or an offsite location.
- Unplug all unnecessary appliances before you leave.
Enjoy your time in the warm weather!